Friday, June 3, 2011

"Don't Rape Her PSA" YouTube Video

 

A public service announcement for sexual assault awareness, for men, by men.
Tonight I came across this video. It was posted on April 21, 2011 and I'm not sure who the film makers are.  From the commentary on YouTube I can see that people did take issue with this video. The sentiment was disrespectful, making light of rape and this one video won't solve violence against women or sexual assault.

I thought this video was pretty good for two reasons:

  1. There are numerous actions, organizations and campaigns run by women for women on important issues of violence and sexual assault. But not many that have men involved in a positive way. This is the main reason I began the Men's Banner Project.  I believe men and women need to work together on this issue. I also believe that most men and women are decent, kind and non-violent but not always aware of what's going on around them. I like this video because it has men addressing a very obvious statement that isn't mentioned enough. 
  2. This video created dialogue. Not everyone likes it, some people hate it but they are sharing with each other their opinions and experiences on rape, assault, community responsibility and personal responsibility. I think that interaction is even more important then the video. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment!