Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Vigil for Murdered and Missing Aboriginal Women



October 4, 2010 

This was an incredibly moving event I attended.

Sisters in Spirit Vigils are held on October 4th by communities across Canada. The vigils themselves are a movement for social change. Every year the number of vigils held increase. I hope this continues to be so. I hope support, awareness and watchfulness begins to grow and that Aboriginal women and girls are seen as equal and important members of society.


Winnipeg Legislature


During the vigil everyone was given small L.E.D. tea lights. I brought along the Men's Banner but felt that in such an intimate setting I didn't want to have it held up blocking anyone's view. I laid it out on the ground a few feet a way from the crowd. When it became dark I put my little light on the banner to stop people from stepping on it.   Soon people began to place their own lights on the banner and the bright hand prints were illuminated in the darkness. I thought it was very nice.  A little boy approached the banner, he placed his own light down and bowed his head respectfully. A minute later he looked up and walked on top of the banner to join his friends.

Darlene Marie Weselowski 1994 - Murdered and Bernice Lorraine Redhead 1968 - Missing

 Darlene Marie Weselowski found me once more.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment!